Saturday 29 November 2008

Homage to Father of Beatles - George Harrison

Today in 2001, George Harrison died
The spiritual leader of the Beatles



"Beatles" the group as we know it was launched the same year as my birth. And my like for "Beatles" probably emanates from this coincidence. I also do not know but for strange reason, I hid my liking for Beatles and George Harrison in particular!. When I explored this strange personal secret of mine deep within me, the answer that I got "was my personal weakness to stand up to Beatles association with drugs. Today I do not feel that way and I can announce my liking of Beatles irrespective of their personal vices or likings. I know that I love their talent as music givers and that's the end of my association with them and this reason has nothing wrong to be hidden.

George Harrison, lead guitarist for the Beatles, died on November 29, 2001, at age 58. His death followed a long struggle with cancer. "He left this world as he lived in it, conscious of God, fearless of death, and at peace, surrounded by family and friends," Harrison's family said in a statement. "He often said, 'Everything else can wait but the search for God cannot wait, and love one another."

Harrison, taught fellow Beatle John Lennon how to play the guitar, served as the legendary group's spiritual leader, introducing his band mates to the philosophy of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and transcendental meditation. In the mid-60s, Harrison learned the sitar from Indian master Ravi Shankar, which Harrison then played on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, popularizing the Sitar's use in rock music.

Harrison was born on February 25, 1943, in Liverpool, England. He was eldest amongst four children. He first picked up the guitar at age 13 and was introduced to John Lennon by Liverpool Institute chum Paul McCartney in the late 1950s. He sporadically played with Lennon's Quarrymen. Harrison, McCartney, and Lennon formed The Silver Beatles in 1959, promptly eliminated Silver from the name, and made it a foursome in 1962, with the addition of Ringo Starr.

The song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" sparked "Beatlemania" in the United States and the band was propelled to international stardom was also launched on this day in 1964. He was married to Patti Boyd from 1966 to 1977. After they divorced Boyd married Harrison's good friend Eric Clapton. Harrison married Olivia Arias in 1978, shortly after the birth of their son, Dhani.

Songs Written by George Harrison

1. Blue Jay Way, 2. Don't Bother Me, 3. For You Blue, 3. Here Comes,
4. The SunI Me Mine 5. I Need You, 6. I Want To Tell You,
7. If I Needed Someone, 8. It's All Too Much, 9. Long, Long, Long,
10. Love You To, 11.Old Brown Shoe, 12. Only A Northern Song, 13. Piggies,
14. Savoy Truffle, 15. Something, 16. Taxman, 17. The Inner Light,
18. Think For Yourself, 19. While My Guitar Gently Weeps,
20. Within You Without You, 21.You Like Me Too Much
Sitar Mastero Ravi Shanker Gives George Harrison Sitar
Lesson

Beatles broke up in 1970, Harrison then opened a movie production company and embarked on a solo career. In November 1970 he released the ambitious and well-received All Things Must Pass, produced by Phil Specter. "My Sweet Lord" went to No. 1 on the pop charts. The 1971 he produced two benefit concerts to aid the victims of the war between Pakistan and India. The album recorded at the concert won the Album of the Year Grammy. On December 30, 1999, an intruder broke into Harrison's Oxfordshire estate and stabbed him repeatedly. His attacker, Michael Abram, was declared insane and acquitted. Harrison's death leaves only two remaining members of the Fab Four, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Nirmal,I read through your latest write up and can't stop asking myself:where do you find the time to write all this script? what is your motivating factor behind your writing and your goals with this. Let me call it hobby!or is it something else?