Monday 6 October 2008

My first day at clinical posting’s (July 10th 1978): Practical Lecture on Life and Death

At this very moment there are more than 6.7 billion humans inhabiting this planet (Source: World Population Clock). All of us have seen life and death at some or the other times. I hate to say this, but when (I was 9 years) “I chose to be a doctor” till then I had seen no death (at least one, which I had understood or the one which had affected me) and I thought being a doctor meant, only life-giver. and; a heart surgeon! Sure was one most definitively a very glamorous life-giver, of my fantasy land.

It was a very hot and humid day on July 10th 1978; my first day at the clinical posting’s, in one of the operation rooms (there was no air-conditioning in those days, even in the OT’s) at the Women’s Hospital of my medical college, at Gwalior. The first day was very exciting, as I watched life being delivered from a mother’s womb, surgically. It was extremly “moving magical moment….a life was born” and there was nothing but happiness around us. Outside, we could hear the cheers of the family. Anesthetist announced the time of birth and was noted by a nurse, it was exactly 12.00 noon.

As our group of five watched, Miss A nudged with her elbow Miss D, standing by her side, to remind us all to leave now for our journey back to medical college for the afternoon lecture. As we came out of the OT, taking-off our OT shirts that we wore as our only OT dress, jubilant father waiting outside the OT, was already distributing sweets. He immediately rushed to open a new box of sweets for us. I am sure, he must have mistaken us as junior doctors!!!! attending to his wife inside, and thus owing his solemn duty to respect and share his happiness with us all.

This celebration of life was soon over as I walked back alone (girls had their Luna-motorized bicycle) to the main medical college for a formal lecture in pharmacology by Prof. H. I had only walked 30 meters of the 2 Kms. jouney when I saw one of my senior, Dr S (I knew him because he had ragged me when I was selected to the college) rushing into the so called “TB hospital” I knew instantly that he was going to attend some emergency. I really got excited. I thought it would be nice, if I could see one more “live-action” today, having already celebrated and enjoyed “one live birth”, few moments ago, by Dr (Mrs) T. I could feel that juvenile rush of blood in my head in that excitement. I immediately took the right turn and began following Dr S. Dr S crossed the corridor and pass-by an old woman leaning over the door and coughing, incessantly. Ignoring everybody, he literally started running and shouting “Ramesh” and “Gulla” repeatedly, probably attendants or male nurses of that ward (at least they were important names, at that time). Any way, I followed my senior to the end of the next room until I reached and stood behind Dr S near bed no. 49. A thin and dark skin man in his 30’s, lay on his side with his right arm dangling on the floor and a large amount of bright blood frothy sputum spluttered around him. I had doubt, if the man was breathing, but Dr S immediately turned him flat on his bed and asked for "Injection Coramine"!.

I knew now that the matter was serious, because I had seen in movies that only hero’s and heroines lived after getting injection of Coramine!!! No one else did. Villain never was even considered for this miracle injection, he was simply left to die. To my utter surprise, Dr S stabbed the injection straight through the front of his chest, into one of his heart chambers. I was by now had forgotten my class of pharmacology and that I am a student and not a doctor. I thought, my duty to help this extremely competent; life-giver senior (Dr S) hoping that he will also let me join him in his endeavors. I could even remembered and imagined at that time, of Dr Kotnis my ideal, which had a great influence on me and probably was, responsible for me pursuing my medical studies.

What happened sir, why are you leaving? I asked Dr S who has just turned his back soon after giving that injection, as if that turn around was also part of the treatment. Dr S calmly confirmed and declared solemnly, that the patient “Sanatan” was dead anyway.

I looked at my wrist; the watch was showing 2.40 PM. Birth at 12.00 and death at 3.00. A young frail woman of 24-25 years standing near the bed, with a small baby hanging by her side started sobbing, very quietly and gently. Every other person in the ward looked emotion free, including Ramesh and Gulla. I resumed my meditative walk, back to the medical college hoping to attend the last lecture of the day “Pathology lecture” not knowing, if I will be able to reach in time to be allowed to enter the lecture theatre.

On my way back I thought; if I had missed my two formal lectures today or had the opportunity to attend “two real lectures on life and death”.

* First initial is used in place of first name of all doctors/ students at that time to hide their identity. (I do not hold their permission to make their names public).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read through the notes you sent,it was captivating.Are you writing your biography or what?Good day and keep walking!

Anonymous said...

Indeed nostalgic! This reminds me of my journey of life. Well I had similar feelings - a great excitement at the life born, a dejection at the life lost. These feelings have been blunted out over the years. I am certainly happy to see a jovial child. I do get saddened to see the sick one, the young losing his life to accidents, drugs, HIV. But we are lucky and chosen ones. We bring solace to so many. We save and give breadwinner to so many families. Correcting a congenital anomaly has been the most gratifying. As Rudyard Kipling said it, "good men from weakling sons must be our aim."