Tuesday 12 July 2011

Five Rules of Happiness

Today I am publishing an email, which is actually, a modified transcript of a wonderful mail sent to me, by my friend Dr Yomi Lawal, a cardiac surgeon from Greece. A few years ago, in  the summers of 2008, I met Yomi, first time at The Leipzig Heart Centre (LHC), (previously a city in East Germany) now in United Germany.  I was visiting LHC as a visiting fellow. It   was meant to be sent to seven others excluding Yomi (the sender) I thought it is worth many and thus, here it is... This wonderful piece is AWESOME....something we can all practice. 

A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who used to fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably combed and shaved perfectly, even though he was blind, moved to a nursing home. His wife of 70 years has recently passed away, making his move necessary. After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smi ed sweetly when he was told that his room was ready. As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator.

As the person who took him to his room provided a visual description of his tiny room. I love it,' the blind man said with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old, who has just been presented with a new puppy. 

Sir, you haven't seen the room yet; so can you love it? the person accompanying him asked.

Old blind man responded; Wait.' 

'My liking doesn't have anything to do with my seeing and experiencing anything in life.'
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn'tdepend on how the furniture is arranged .. it's how I arrange my mind. I have already decided to love it. 'It's a decision, I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulties. I have with the parts of my body which no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. 

Each day is a gift, and as long as I am alive, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy momennt I've had in my life. Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in.So, my advice to you is to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories! 

Thank you for your part in filling my Happy Memory Bank, I am still depositing in. 

'Remember the five simple rules to be happy: 
1. Free your heart from hatred. 
2. Free your mind from worries. 
3. Live simply.. 
4. Give more. 
5. Expect less. 


No comments: